Regolini Galassi Tomb
Collections OnlineGregorian Etruscan MuseumRoom II

Regolini Galassi Tomb

Gregorian Etruscan Museum
mid 7th cent. BC.

The tomb, which can still be visited in Cerveteri, was discovered still intact in 1836. It is partly cut into the tufa rock and partly built with square blocks, with a false vault covering obtained with progressively protruding blocks. An enormous mound of earth covered the entire structure, conferring on it a monumental aspect even from the outside. It consists of a sloping access corridor and an elongated central cell, separated by a partial wall of blocks of tufa from the end cell. Two symmetrical cells with an oval layout, entirely excavated out of the tufa, open at the sides. Two persons were certainly buried in the tomb: a woman of royal rank buried in the end cell and a cremated man, placed in the right-hand cell. More problematic is the presence of a third occupant, whom it was thought was placed in the anteroom on the bronze bed. The excavation also uncovered very rich furnishing, among which a chariot, silverware, gilded and bronze ware, and a series of very precious gold jewels that belonged to the deceased.