Federico Fiori, called the
(Urbino 1528/35 - 1612)
oil on wood transferred onto canvas
cm. 248 x 170
The work was painted by Barocci in the years 1582-1584 for the chapel of Francesco Maria II della Rovere, duke of Urbino, in the Basilica of Loreto. Transferred to Paris in 1797, it returned to Italy in 1816 and since 1820 has been part of the Vatican Art Gallery Collection.
The religious event dominates the composition, in the background of which an opening allows us to see a view of the Palazzo Ducale of Urbino: the sacred subject, rendered with immediacy and with great simplicity, is steeped light and is pervaded by a sweet and idyllic atmosphere.