Resurrection of Lazarus
Collections OnlinePinacotecaRoom XI

Resurrection of Lazarus

Girolamo Muziano
(Acquafredda 1528 or 1532 - Rome 1592)
Resurrection of Lazarus
oil on canvas
cm. 295 x 440
cat. 40368

The large painting of the Resurrection of Lazarus, signed by Girolamo Muziano, was probably executed in 1555 in Subiaco. It was then transferred to Rome to Palazzo di S. Marco ( Palazzo Venezia), where Michelangelo was able to admire it and publicly praise it. It was subsequently placed over the tomb of the artist in St Mary Major's Basilica. After having passed to the Quirinal, it finally became part of the Vatican Art Gallery Collection.