HomePatronsRestorationsThe Carriage MuseumGraham Paige (1929)


A new age of Papal transportation began in 1930 during the priestly jubilee of Pius XI (1922-1939) with the arrival of the automobile. Pius XI’s collection included: the Graham Paige limosine given by the Graham brothers from America (members of the Knights of Columbus), the prestigious Citroën "Lictoria" made in Milan, and the Nurburg style Mercedes Benz.

The Graham Paige limosine was presented to Pius XI by the Graham brothers in the Vatican on November 9, 1929. Later, it became the preferred automobile of Pius XII on his trips outside the Vatican.

The carriage-work was made by the famous American coachbuilder, LeBaron. The upholstery is in silk of Havana brown and silver, with the metal parts in gold.