Filippo De Pisis, Piazza Cavalli a Piacenza

Photogallery

Filippo De Pisis, Piazza Cavalli a Piacenza
Filippo De Pisis, Piazza Cavalli a Piacenza
Rooms 21 and 22. Painting in Italy between the wars

The canvas depicts a view of the square in Piacenza, with the equestrian monuments to Ranuccio and Alessandro Farnese by the seventeenth-century sculptor Francesco Mochi. Produced following one of De Pisis’ visits to his brother, the work reveals the pictorial freedom absorbed by the artist during his long stay in Paris which began in 1926 and continued until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. During his Parisian years, his painting became linked with a lyricism and immediacy that became his stylistic motto: the brushstrokes acquired an almost elusive speed and the coloured material became so thin that it allows the underlying preparation work to be seen. The painting entered the Vatican collections at the end of the 1950s, as part of the first body of twentieth century work included in the Pinacoteca.