This room is entirely dedicated to the collection of the Guglielmi di Vulci Marquises, formed during the early decades of the nineteenth century following the excavations carried out between 1828 and 1848 at the Sant’Agostino and di Camposcala estates, in the territory of the ancient city of Vulci, the same period as that of the birth of the Gregorian Etruscan Museum in 1837. The collection was displayed in Palazzo Guglielmi in Civitavecchia until the beginning of the twentieth century, when it was divided into two portions which were subsequently received by the Vatican Museums: the first was donated by Pope Pius XI in 1935 by Benedetto Guglielmi, and the second, inherited by Giacinto and transported to Rome to his family abode, was acquired only in 1987.
The Guglielmi collection is made up of around 800 objects dating from between the ninth and first centuries B.C., from the Iron Age (Villanovan culture) up to and including the entire Hellenistic period. Aside from prized Etruscan bronzes and local ceramics of differing production and chronology (clay, bucchero, Etrusco-Corinthian ceramic, black and red figure, overpainted), there is a strong presence of imported Greek ceramics, for which Vulci constituted one of the principal markets. The most conspicuous nucleus in the collection is that of Attic ceramics, especially black figure pottery, in accordance with recurrent statistics in southern Etruria.