In 1852 works were carried out for the construction of pools for therapeutic baths near a thermal spring frequented in antiquity and then reused during the Renaissance period, situated in Vicarello, near Trevignano, on the northern shore of Lake Bracciano. During the demolition of the ancient pool built near the spring, a treasury of coins and several vessels in precious metals were found, offered as gifts to those who attended in ancient times. After tumultuous events the vessels, which were initially removed by one of the excavators, were divided between the Vatican Museums and the Kircherian Museum, from where they subsequently entered the National Roman Museum.
The Vatican Museums currently conserve seven vessels, all silver apart from the small amphora in silver-plated bronze, dating from the first century A.D. Unfortunately three associated gold vessels (a situla and two beakers) are missing, stolen in 1948. Inscriptions were engraved on these, with dedications to Apollo and the Nymphs, since the hot water spring with its therapeutic qualities was an ancient place of worship linked to gods associated with health, especially Apollo; a marble head of Asclepius was also found in the area.