Room XVI. Antiquarium Romanum, oil lamps and stucco

This room, containing a collection of Roman antiquities, also houses the multimedia installation Etruscanning dedicated to the Regolini-Galassi Tomb, whose artefacts are displayed in Room II.
On the walls there are two coffers in stucco from the Flavian age, which came from a columbarium (collective tomb for cinerary urns, stored inside niches) discovered in the Vigna Moroni on the Via Appia in 1808 (cats. 14948, 14562): they depict Aphrodite and dying Adonis, and Alexander-Zeus on the globe between Poseidon and Heracles.
In cabinet A: Roman oil lamps from the first century A.D., some of which have theatrical subjects.