This splendid Grand Gala Berlin, constructed in Rome during the first half of the nineteenth century, is the work of two pontiffs: Leo XII, who called for it to be produced in the years 1824-1826, and Gregory XVI, who requested some important modifications. Their coats of arms are visible in the intaglio in the round at the back and on the two lappets of the tiara supported by a putto.
The valuable metal decoration is the work of Felice Eugeni, whose signature and the date and place of execution: Roma, 1826 are found at the base of the column supporting the Allegory of Faith. The furnishing is the work of Gaetano Peroni, whose signature is on the rear springs.
The carriage was used for the feast of the Annunciation (25 March), the commemoration of St. Philip Neri (26 May), the Nativity of the Virgin (8 September) and the feast of St. Charles Borromeo (4 November), as well as for the taking of possession of the Basilica of St. John Lateran immediately after the coronation of the new Pontiff.