Donated to Pius XI on 14 November 1930 by Mercedes Benz to commemorate the Conciliation between the Church and the Italian State, the 460 Nürburg has, for reasons of protocol, a rear passenger compartment equipped with a single seat in crimson brocade, recalling the papal throne. The 460 Nürburg long wheelbase limousine, designed by Ferdinand Porsche, was presented at the Paris Salon of 1928, where it met with great success for its retro style, which was also received with enthusiasm by Pius XI.
It would appear that, during a test drive in the Vatican Gardens, referring to the power of the engine, he exclaimed: “Beautiful car! A masterpiece… a wonder of modern technology”.
Indeed, the 460 Nürburg has an output of 80 hp and can reach a maximum speed of 110 km/h.