This fresco, from the middle of the first century B.C. (before 46 B.C.), divided into eight panels and then reassembled to form four rectangular panels, was found in Rome on 7 April 1848 during the excavation of a domus in Via Graziosa, present-day Via Cavour, and donated to Pius IX on 2 January 1851.
The cycle, depicting episodes from the Odyssey books 10-12, may have adorned the upper portion of the wall of a portico. There remain eight landscapes positioned in sequence against the background of a double colonnade viewed in perspective:
the meeting between the companions of Ulysses and the daughter of the King of the Laestrygonians (left); assault of the Laestrygonians on the Greek ships (right)
the Laestrygonians destroy Ulysses' fleet (left); Ulysses' ship, the only one spared, makes its way towards the Island of Circe, Eea (right)
Ulysses in the palace of Circe (left); possibly Ulysses' companions, retransformed from pigs to humans (right)
Ulysses, in the underworld, first meets the shadows of the dead (left), then Orion, Sisyphus, Tityus and the Danaids (right).