The New Wing of the Vatican Museums reopens to the public following important conservation work. This gallery was realised between 1816 and 1822 at the behest of Pope Pius VII Chiaramonti, in order to house the magnificent papal collection of classical sculptures. The impressive restoration, particularly complex and choral on account of the different professional figures involved, related to both the architectural structure and the approximately 140 sculptures displayed.
The work, made possible thanks to the funds raised by the Governorate of Vatican City State and the generosity of the Patrons of the Arts in the Vatican Museums, was directed by the Vatican Museums Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities and that of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, with the collaboration of the Technical Services.
The visit to the New Wing forms part of the Museums’ usual display itinerary, and is included in the entry ticket price.