Musées du Vatican - Page d'introductionsite officiel du Saint-SiègeInformations générales au sujet des Musées VaticanNaviguer dans le site, Légende et Index du siteVisite virtuelle et sélections des œuvresSections actuellement sur la vue dans les Musées Vatican OnlinePage principale de Musées Vatican Online

Info MuséesPatronsRestorationsThe restoration of the Pauline Chapel

 

Conversion of St. Paul, detail of Paul

The restoration of the Pauline Chapel* was presented on the 30th of June 2009.

The Chapel is located in the Vatican Apostolic Palaces and Paul III Farnese commissioned to Antonio da Sangallo (1537-42) to built it; subsequently Michelangelo was entrusted to paint the two frescoes reproducing the Conversion of St. Paul and the Crucifixion of St. Peter (1542-50). Since its creation it has always been a place of prayer and meditation for Popes and the pontifical family.

The restoration began in 2002, under the direction of the art historian Arnold Nesselrath, and has been realized by the staff of the Restoration Painting Laboratory with the coordination of Maurizio De Luca and the financial support of the Patrons of the Arts.

In addition to the restoration of the paintings, the presbitery was reaorganized including a new lighting system, which highlights the paintings.

* The Pauline Chapel is the private chapel of the Holy Father and is outside the itinerary of the Museums and is not normally open to the public.



Documents and studies (only Italian)

Presentation to the press of the restoration of the Pauline Chapel
Card. Giovanni Lajolo, President of the Governatorate

The last work of Michelangelo as a painter
Prof. Antonio Paolucci, Director of the Vatican Museums

The Pauline Chapel
Ing. Pier Carlo Cuscianna, Director of the Technical Services of the Governatorate

The Pauline Chapel after the restoration
Prof. Arnold Nesselrath, Art-Historian Chief of the restoration

Liturgical furnishing of the Papal Chapel
Edited by the Prefecture of the Papal Household

The restoration of the Pauline Chapel
M.° Maurizio De Luca, Inspector and Chief Restorer of the Laboratory Paintings Restoration

Scientific Inquiries
Prof. Ulderico Santamaria, Laboratory of diagnostics for the Preservation and Restoration

Lighting system of the Pauline Chapel
Dott. Vittoria Cimino, Curator's Office of the Vatican Museums

Patrons of the Arts in the Vatican Museums

History of the Pauline Chapel