This work, known from its place of origin as the polyptych of Montelparo (Ascoli Piceno), was perhaps painted for the convent church of Sant'Agostino and then transferred to the church of S. Michele Arcangelo in Castello of Montelparo following the earthquake of 1703. The painting is signed "Nicholas Fulginas" and dated 1466. It was purchased by Gregory XVI (pontiff from 1831 to 1846) in 1844. The author is Niccolò di Liberatore, the Alunno, an artist who was active in the regions of Umbria and the Marche in the late 15th century. The complex composition, arranged in a very rich Gothic frame, testifies as to the obvious influence of Venetian culture. In the centre of the polyptych are the Crowning of the Virgin and Deposition of Christ flanked by a great number of figures of Saints.