Hall of the Papyri

The second stage in the Christian Museum tour itinerary, the Hall of the Papyri is named after the homonymous documents of the Church of Ravenna (sixth to ninth centuries), previously exhibited along the walls and now replaced by exact photographic reproductions. Initiated under Clement XIV (1771) and completed under Pius VI (1775), the sumptuous decoration of this space, planned by Cardinal Alessandro Albani and implemented by Anton Raphael Mengs (1772-73) in collaboration with Christopher Unterperger and Antonio Marini (1775), alludes to Egypt and the foundation of the Pio Clementino Museum in the Apostolic Palace (1773). The display cabinets opposite the windows exhibit a precious selection of terracotta works by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Alessandro Algardi.