Hall of the Chariot

This hall was designed by the architect Giuseppe Camporese at the same time as he built the Atrium of the Four Gates on the floor below. The work, begun in 1786, was completed in 1795 with the paving of the floor, in which elements of the coat-of-arms of Pope Pius VI Braschi (the stars and the Boreal wind blowing on lilies) can be seen.
In this hall statues and sarcophagi depict scenes from athletic competitions and circus games, which include discus throwing, wrestling, and chariot races. The antique works, positioned in the niches, or atop bases and altars, are arranged around a monumental marble chariot which occupies the centre of the area.