The restoration of the Pauline Chapel
The restoration of the Pauline Chapel

The restoration of the Pauline Chapel

30 June 2009
Sala Regia in the Vatican Apostolic Palace

The restoration of the Pauline Chapel* was presented on the 30th of June 2009.

The Chapel is located in the Vatican Apostolic Palaces and Paul III Farnese commissioned to Antonio da Sangallo (1537-42) to built it; subsequently Michelangelo was entrusted to paint the two frescoes reproducing the Conversion of St. Paul and the Crucifixion of St. Peter (1542-50). Since its creation it has always been a place of prayer and meditation for Popes and the pontifical family.

The restoration began in 2002, under the direction of the art historian Arnold Nesselrath, and has been realized by the staff of the Restoration Painting Laboratory with the coordination of Maurizio De Luca and the financial support of the Patrons of the Arts.

In addition to the restoration of the paintings, the presbitery was reorganized including a new lighting system, which highlights the paintings.

* The Pauline Chapel is the private chapel of the Holy Father and is outside the itinerary of the Museums and is not normally open to the public.


Documents and studies (only Italian)